Sunday, August 4, 2013

Module 5 - Moving Towards Dynamic Technologies




I believe I am in the middle of the static and dynamic continuum, but definitely moving closer to the dynamic end.  Throughout my educational life I relied on PowerPoint’s, print materials, web pages, and DVD clips to gain content knowledge.  These static technologies do not help learners build their own knowledge, but only allow them to access information (Moller, 2008, para. 2).  BlackBoard discussion areas were used as a way for students and instructors to communicate questions and concerns, or it was not used at all.  In order for small groups to collaborate we had to log into a chat room, which for some reason gave many people problems.  Even if students and teachers are using technology in the teaching and learning process, it does not mean they are implementing it effectively.  

Dynamic technology allows the learner to explore, think, analyze, create, and experiment on a much higher and engaged cognitive level of learning (Moller, 2008, para. 6).  I am becoming more familiar with using Google Docs, simulations, web conferencing, podcasts, blogs, etc.  It is interesting to see how something that was used only one way is now being used differently, or in more ways than one to offer new benefits.  This course through Walden University has made me re-think the means of Wikis and blogging.  For example, I have now created/used blogs and Wikis to communicate and collaborate within small groups or the entire class.  The middle of the continuum has learners using Wikis, blogs, and discussion boards to interact with content, and analyze the opinions and ideas of others (Moller, 2008, para. 3).   

I know I still rely heavily on the use of static media within my classroom as a teacher, and for students to use as a means of learning.  As I continue to move toward the dynamic end of the continuum, I must remember it is okay to step outside of my comfort zone and embrace the new technologies that are evolving.  Both teachers and learners should take risks because the exploration creates learning through the encouragement of them trying to figure it out (Moller, 2008, para. 6).  I should allow my students to take a more active role in their learning, and technology is making it easier to meet the needs of all students.  Dynamic technologies are allowing students and teachers to communicate and collaborate easier, and in real-time.  Teachers, like me, have to change the way we teach because we are constantly learning when technology is effectively combined in the learning process the student is engaged, and information is being retained. 

References

Moller, L. (2008). Static and dynamic technological tools. [Unpublished Paper].

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mary. Nice graphic. I noticed that you included Google docs as a dynamic collaborative tool. I'll be honest - and I'm sure this is simply my personal technological deficiency - I've had very little success using Google docs in my classes and due to its minimal functionality have just stopped using it. I kind of feel like I've missed the boat with it! Can you tell me how you've used Google docs as a dynamic collaborative tool? Thanks!

    Jeanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used it for work to assist with re-writing the library curriculum for my district. The librarians and Technology Resource Teachers (TRT) used it. We would split the parts of the curriculum, meaning one TRT and one librarian would work together on one section. We constantly uploaded our progress to Google Docs, and could view the other groups progress. We commented on each others, and would assist out where needed. It is very open, and allows you to see everything which helps out. It is synced through Gmail and would send an email every time a change is made. The layout is user friendly as well. I am sure everyone has their "go-to" resource, and there are many out there like Google Docs. It becomes more of a preference thing to me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary,

    I bumped into a very interesting blog (Beth’s blog) where the author stated that there is no difference between weaving networks face to face and weaving networks online. The author mentioned that the use of artifacts is vital for effective collaboration for both face-to-face and online environments (Beth’s Blog, 2010). The example, the author spoke of an attempt to play tic-tac-toe game without the paper drawing in either environment. Of course, in either environment this was practically impossible. In relationship to static versus dynamic technologies, I would say the more a technology allow learners to collaborate instantly, the easier it is for learners to construct knowledge. I believe if an artifact or medium encourages synchronous collaboration with immediate feedback (which can stimulate learners’ deeper cognitive levels), then it should be seen as dynamic. What are your thoughts on live collaboration such as learning within virtual worlds? Do you think that there are other ways of achieving this level of collaboration?

    -Ena.

    Reference

    Beth’s Blog (2010). Weaving together online/offline collaboration in a network context. Retrieved from http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2010/03/weaving-together-onlineoffline-collaboration-in-a-network-context.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that if immediate feedback is given it should be seen as dynamic. I also believe dynamic technologies allow a user to interact with the program and interact with users. I do think live collaboration is great, but it does take away from the whole “flexibility” aspect of distance education. While it sounds like live collaboration would be effective, I believe realistically it will pose more problems with getting everyone together during a given time. As I have mentioned before, if this level of collaboration is going to occur it should only be one or two times during the semester. I currently question if there are ways of achieving this through distance education classes. It is a very difficult area considering people and universities have different interests and ideas.

      Delete
  3. Greetings Mary,
    I appreciate the information you shared in your Module 5 Blog concerning how students and teachers are using technology in the teaching and learning process, does not mean they are implementing it effectively. I completely agree that I am becoming more familiar with using Google Docs, simulations, web conferencing, podcasts, blogs, etc. Your Module 5 Blog post helps me to understand how dynamic technologies are allowing students and teachers to communicate and collaborate easier, and in real-time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mentioned that you rely on the use of static media within your classroom, rather than dynamic, why do you think this is? I've noticed many schools still use static media rather than dynamic because of budgetary issues and/or the school not having the technological tools available. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that budget plays a major role in a teachers use of static or dynamic media. Our school system does not have the budget that other school systems may have. We do not even have enough laptops for our teachers. If we were provided with the technology I am sure the movement from static to dynamic would be more apparent.

      Delete